Tuesday, August 13, 2019

TO BE ON TOP OF IT

TO BE ON TOP OF IT
This is a phrasal verb that means "to be in control of the situation." This phrasal verb is useful when you want to communicate that you are diligently working on something to the extent that you could physically be on top of it.
- -
In other words, when you say "I'm on top of it," you are saying, "I'm working on it," or "I will get it done." - - 
For example: - "I'm not doing very well in my math class, but when it comes to history, I'm on top of it."
- -
"I try to stay on top of returning phone calls and e-mails. If I get behind, my job gets difficult very fast."
- - "I got a terrible grade on my math test.  I just fell behind last week in the class and never caught up.  I just didn't stay on top of it."
-- Share your questions and comments!  Have you been staying on top of it when it comes to studying English?

EXAMPLE ON YOUTUBE

EXAMPLES ON TWITTER

EXAMPLES IN THE NEWS  

*Note that this phrase has different meanings based on its context.  Some of the examples refer to its literal meaning something being physically on top of something else.  Other examples refer to a figurative meaning of something being rated as top quality.  The idea is for you to be aware of the phrases literal and figurative meanings and  understand it in different contexts.

Photo by Pixabay 

No comments:

Post a Comment